Ecologia teaches through hands on experience. Our workshops move through the ABC’s of garden design, mushroom cultivation, back yard orchards, food forests, natural building, pruning, grafting, permaculture design, rainwater harvesting, soil building, herb spirals, espalier/fruit fence building, and ecological restoration.
Principle designer/founder of Ecologia and author of Edible Landscaping with a Permaculture Twist Michael Judd is a well known and enjoyed speaker, noted for enthusiastic and clear presentations on a host of subjects surrounding edible and ecological landscapes. Presenter for Monticello Harvest Festival and NOFA – Northeast Organic Farmers Association, guest on popular radio such as A Way to Garden with Margaret Roach, and a host of podcasts revolving around edible landscaping, gardening and permaculture.
Sample topics include but by no means are limited to:
- rain water harvesting with raised beds and rain gardens
- growing gourmet mushrooms outdoors
- natural fruit growing – uncommon fruits and care
- growing paw paw fruit
- food forest design
- building soil fertility
- herb spirals
- earthen ovens
- edible architecture – espalier & trellis design
- natural building
- green burial
Presentations can be tailored from 30 minutes to three hours and include colorful slides that share the how-to and real life examples of landscape design and care. For fees and scheduling please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. Botanic Garden, D.C.
- NOFA – Northeast farming Association
- Audubon Naturalist Society
- Heritage Harvest festival at Monticello, VA
- Mother Earth News Fair – Seven Springs, PA
Upcoming Talks. Tours. Workshops
- Food Forests, Water Harvesting Talk. Oct. 21st, 2017. Howard Ecoworks – Miller Branch library, Patapsco/Avalon Room, 9421 Frederick Rd, Ellicott City, MD. http://www.howardecoworks.org/home/learn/neighborhood-greenways
- Permaculture Practicum:Food Forest Design & Water Harvesting Workshop. October 22nd, 2017. Sacred Roots Herbal Sanctuary – Shepherdstown WV. http://www.sacredrootsdc.com/classes-2/
- Garden & House Tour Oct. 29th, 2017. Audubon Naturalist Society – Long Creek Homestead, Frederick MD 21702.
- Fall Mushroom Workshop Nov. 5th 2017. Common Market – Long Creek Homestead, Frederick MD 21702. *Sign up via Common Market. https://www.commonmarket.coop/events/fall-mushroom-workshop-with-michael-judd/ (301) 663-3416 or email@example.com
- North East Farmers Association – NJ Winter Conference Jan. 27-28, 2018 Rutgers University. Topics – Food Forests, Water Harvesting & Paw Paw’s
Host a Workshop or Schedule a Personal Tour
Workshops and tours can be created and tailored around subjects of interest for groups. Site tours of the Long Creek Homestead are 1.5 hours and start at $250 for groups of up to 6 people, for larger groups or info on hosting a workshop please email.
“Edible landscaping was an amazing workshop. Michael Judd of Ecologia was able to help me plan beautiful additions to my garden that will feed my family and friends for years to come. I love their philosophy of working in harmony with nature, planting things that will grow well in my community and letting the garden nurture itself.” – Penny Crump
“The partnership that the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship has developed with Michael Judd and Ecologia has truly been one of our most rewarding. The contributions that Mr. Judd and his organization have made to our educational programs have been of the highest quality and we hope to continue this partnership for many years to come.” – Jeffrey Alvey, Program Director, Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship